Finding the correct fit for women’s shoes is a dream. However, you can find the best pair for yourself if you could measure foot sizes and get a corresponding pair for yourself. One question that I often find from ladies is, are women’s shoes measured in inches? Let’s discuss the answer in detail in the following article!
Are Women’s Shoes Measured in Inches?
Every measurement requires a metric. Like your clothes, women’s shoes have metrics to find the right fit for various feet. The standard unit to measure women’s shoes is inches.
Popular women’s shoes brands consider a sample population to measure their feet sizes and manufacture shoes. They consider that the limited range of sizes will suit everyone as the standard sample was large enough to generalize the measurements.
While these brands measure the sizes of the sample population, they consider inches as the unit of measurement. Based on the sizes in inches, the women’s shoes manufacturers produce shoes for the entire population.
As you now know that brands consider sizes in inches to manufacture women’s shoes, it’s better to measure your feet in inches to find the perfect fit for yourself.
One thing that you should remember is that you won’t get women’s shoes directly with sizes mentioned in inches. Mostly, the shoe sizes are unitless. It implies that you have to convert your feet measurement in inches to the size chart that popular brands use for their footwear collection.
Now you might be thinking how to measure your foot in inches to find the perfect fitting for yourself. Right? Here’s how you can measure your feet and find appropriate shoes for yourself.
Measuring your feet the right way
You can easily find the best pair of shoes for yourself if you could measure your feet correctly. Do you want to know how women can measure their feet sizes correctly? Here’s the process. Follow along with the article!
- All of your entire weight should be supported by your feet as you stand on a level, flat surface. They somewhat enlarge due to the pressure.
- Tape some paper on the ground. As you place one foot on the paper, lean slightly forward and make sure your entire weight is on your feet. Your feet will expand naturally in shoes as a result of this.
- On the paper, trace the perimeter of your foot. Hold your pen or pencil as vertically and horizontally as you can. Ask a friend or a member of your family to help you if you’re having problems balancing. It will streamline the procedure and guarantee accurate measurements.
- Repeat step three with the opposite foot after flipping the paper over and taping it to the ground.
- Measure the distance between your heel and the tip of your longest toe on the tracings you’ve made using a tape measure or ruler.
- To translate the length of your foot into the correct shoe size, use the women’s or men’s shoe size conversion charts provided by brands.
- Measure the breadth of each foot at its widest point using your tracings, then take the greater of the two measurements.
- Approximately 1/4 inch (1/2 centimeter) should be subtracted from that measurement to account for the width of your writing implement.
- To discover your foot width, see the men’s or women’s shoe width charts.
How do you determine women’s shoe width?
It’s easy to calculate your feet’s length in inches and translate it to normal shoe sizes. What’s up with the breadth, though?
Each shoe width fitting often begins with a letter, and the wider the shoe, the later the letter in the alphabet. Narrow shoes are A width and broad shoes are E width in the most prevalent measuring system among popular women’s shoe brands. The shoe is exceptionally thin or wide if the same letter is repeated. Therefore, the narrowest shoes are AAAA width, which is smaller than AA. Conversely, DDD width shoes are significantly broader than an D width fitting.
Unfortunately, there is no established system for measuring shoe width. Instead, each brand has a unique chart for measuring shoe width for each shoe size. Therefore, simply because two brands make narrow (AA) shoes, their widths may vary.
The variation in width across women’s shoes typically ranges from 3/16 to 6/16 inch. For specific branded shoes, the distance between each width, for instance, can be 0.25 inches. ‘A’ wide shoe is therefore 1/2 inch broader than a narrow shoe and 1/4 inch wider than a medium fit. In contrast, some women’s shoe brands can have slightly wider gaps. So, it depends on the in-focus brand.
Do you know? The width in women’s shoes differ according to countries.
Confusion arises from the fact that the same letters can have different meanings in the US and the UK. In the US and Australia, women’s standard shoes are B width, whereas B shoes are narrow and difficult to buy in the UK. In the US, a women’s D width shoe is wide fit. However, in the UK, it typically refers to a regular fit shoe. Normal shoes in the UK are typically D width.
Initial letters are frequently used in the US as an alternative to width abbreviations. So instead of AAAA or WW for wide wide, shoes may be labeled in the US as SS for super thin. These acronyms are easier to understand, but various US websites use a combination of the various systems. Last but not least, German shoe companies utilize a unique set of letters for shoe widths, ranging from E (slim) to K (extra wide).
So, before you measure your feet and find the right shoe for yourself, it’s better to understand the width system in your specific country.
Women’s shoe sizes are measured in inches. So, you can measure your feet and get an appropriate pair by finding the right size from brand charts. Also, don’t forget to measure your feet width to ensure that the shoes fit you properly. Knowing these aspects, shopping for women’s shoes will become an easy task for you!