What if you could combine the traditional Indian saree with the Modern jeans to get that Urban Diva look? Draping a saree over jeans can be difficult initially but I have made the process easier for you. There are different styles for wearing a saree depending on its material and for what occasion you are dressing up. Every style has been extensively covered with a step-by-step guide to help you understand the process in a simple manner.
How to wear saree with jeans? To start the process, you need to decide on the type of jeans that will go best with your saree look. There are several jeans that you can choose from including flared jeans. And then match a right color saree and style of draping a saree with the jeans to keep the look stylish yet graceful.
Here is a practical guide to help you style the jeans-saree fusion and get a glam look. The same guidelines with pants hold good for jeans too.
What are the latest Jeans – Saree styles
Before going to the details, let’s take a quick look at the latest fashion styles for draping a saree with jeans. These styles are followed globally by women who want to wear a saree but give it an urban touch.
Matching half saree drape with blue killer torn jeans
This is the most standard look for a jeans. Having matching color full sleeve jacket with a matching dark colour saree with draping only across leg and shoulder is the most elegant look. Just leaving the jeans exposed through one leg and another covered mostly by saree is the technique to amplify the style.
Go for Contrasting shades
You can take two contrasting striking colours to rock the pant style saree draping. Take the saree of a lighter pastel shade and pair it up with a darker tone blouse. Wear blue or black coloured jeans underneath. Curl your hair to add to make a dazzling statement. Don’t forget to wear a cute pair of heels. This style looks gorgeous for parties or informal gatherings.
Checkout how Masoom Minawala, one of India’s top Fashion bloggers is flaunting this style.
You can go for the belt style where the overall outfit is a pretty normal or single colour and the only element that stands out making a statement is the Belt.
Neck Drape Style
This is the most simple yet chic way to drape a saree. Follow the steps mentioned before to wear a saree with jeans. The only additional step here is to wrap the pallu around your neck like a scarf. Keep in mind to keep the Pallu longer for achieving this look. Instead of the normal scarf wrapping, you can also go for different styles of wrapping a scarf.
Get Bold in Black
Another style that you can flaunt for the jeans with saree pants look is going all black with the saree, blouse and the pair of jeans. You need a black saree with a beautiful border and a pair of heels that absolutely stand out! Add accessories that look glamorous and grab more attention towards itself, adding to the overall style.
Tassels and Beadwork
You can always get creative with your saree borders and blouse styles. Embellishments can give your outfit that much needed royal look. How about tassels and beadworks? Floral and butterfly prints are some trendy options that you can choose from; giving you a 3D look. Pair it with an off-shoulder boat-shaped blouse. The colour of the jeans depends on the saree colour and the type of look you want – Bold or Chic. Don’t forget to add a pair of gorgeous black heels to match the overall look.
Why should you wear only plain jeans with a saree? Let’s reverse the process here. Take a pair of jeans which is printed or colourful and drape a plain saree in a single colour over it. The blouse can be contrasting or matching to the jeans. Add a pair of heels. This look will best go for casual events or cocktail parties.
Here’s a more practical idea for draping a saree with your favourite pair of jeans!
Metallic Saree Drape
Are you looking for pant style saree draping for a wedding, date night or maybe an event? Pairing denim with a Metallic saree is best for carrying a chic look. Tie a knot casually with the pallu of the saree at the waist. You can go for a crop top that you wear normally as a blouse. It really does look like a normal blouse. Just a style hack for you to remember.
Why should you wear a saree with jeans?
If you’re a fashionista who loves to mix and match different things and spice up the fashion style, this jeans saree fusion is a trend you would absolutely love. The process is pretty simple. You need to replace the inskirt with a pair of jeans. But, the difficult part here is Flaunting that look. You need to ditch the old styles and get creative with your draping methods. I have just the right ideas which will give you that much-needed inspiration.
This fashion style of wearing saree with jeans enhances your curvy silhouette, especially if you have an hourglass figure. It’s time to make those heads turn. You can experiment with different fabrics and styles. Choose denim, silks or filmy Georgettes to rock that diva look. I love how this style lets you make a fashion statement. You can take different blouse styles to add to that glam look. You can also switch your traditional blouse with a crop top. Several fashion bloggers wear their regular tops or t-shirts under a saree and there won’t be any visible difference!
How to wear a saree with jeans pants
Pick a saree which has a shorter length than the usual ones. It’s best if you go for Chiffon or Georgette to get that jeans saree fusion style look. This style is appealing when you want to carry a traditional look but also keep an urban chic look. This pant style saree draping combines the best of both worlds.
- Hold one end of the sare which doesn’t have the pallu and start making pleats. The number of pleats depends on your preference but 5-6 pleats are enough. Use a safety pin to secure it.
- Tuck the pleats inside your jeans in the front centre. Maintain the pleats in a beautiful manner that they are clearly visible.
- Grab the other end of the saree and drape it around your waist. Toss the end on your left shoulder.
- Once you do this, make pleats and secure them with a safety pin on the shoulder of your blouse. And you’re all set to rock that jeans-style saree look
You can stylize this look by taking a Georgette saree with the right fall and wearing it with a Khaki belt that has a large buckle on the waist; with denim and a long blouse. Wear flats/ heels whatever you feel more comfortable in wearing. Add some accessories like Bracelet to give it an elegant look.
Styling tips to rock that Glam look
- Styling the blouse as per the cut of the jeans. This style tends to appear flattering when you accessorise it the right way.
- Wear a pair of comfortable heels. Don’t go for heels which make it difficult for you to walk around. This would just bring down your overall saree look.
- You need to take extra care of the pleats. You can always get them pre-stitched to avoid any kind of last-minute hassle.
- It’s best to opt for a cut of the jeans which matches with your body frame.
- When you’re going for material like Chiffon or Georgette, you need a fabric which isn’t too bulky to carry this trend.
- Safety pins are a life saviour. You can easily manage your saree with a bunch of safety pins.
- If you’re totally new at wearing sarees, you should go for lighter fabrics. Don’t choose embellished or any other heavy material which is difficult to carry.
Saree and Jeans Trending on social media!
This new challenge took over social media by storm. The pandemic had forced everyone to stay at home and work from home. Fashion bloggers decided to use this time and get creative with the indo-western challenges.
This trend involved the fusion of the saree and blue jeans. In addition, several other challenges came up from food and fashion to lifestyle which allowed influencers and bloggers to gain popularity and showcase their favourite styles.
Women across the globe participated in this Saree and jeans challenge, draping saree over jeans and creating their own red-carpet worthy look. The process was to click glamorous pictures, post it on the instagram, using the hashtag “#sareejeans” to get featured. This tag got fashion bloggers noticed by people globally and trend in this saree-jeans fusion challenge. Here are some of our favourite looks from this challenge.
Different ways to wear a Saree on top of Jeans
If you’re wondering how many ways are there to wear a saree, well we have some ideas for you. If you take an overall look, there are several styles to wear a saree. Take a look here to find our favourite look!
Another one of our favourites is the Dhoti style look. You can try this look with a pair of black jeans. Go for a bolder saree colour like dark pink or yellow and a lighter shade for the blouse. Flats will go well with this look giving you that edgy style.
If you’re someone who faces problems draping a saree the traditional way, you can get your saree pre-stitched. This means your saree will have pre-stitched pleats. All you need to do is tuck inside your jeans on your waist and drape the pallu over your shoulders. To really slay this look, you need to have a blouse that is absolutely killer – Sequined, net, jacket-style or peplum-style.
Apart from these styles, you have to check out the modern sarees that come with a textured jacket and denim structure made from 100% cotton. These Indigo sarees are to die for! Simple yet so elegant. You can easily drape the saree and stand out with your dazzling style. Don’t forget to add some showstopper accessories to give the outfit a finishing touch.
You can always add your creativity and give these styles a personal touch. Add some indo-western kurti with your jeans to get an urban chic look which would suit best for informal events.
Silk Printed Saree
Take a pair of jeans and match it with a silk saree which has a heavy, exotic border. Opt for embroidered blouses if you’re going for weddings or parties. Many fashion bloggers go for blouses with zari work and add a pair of heels to flaunt the jeans with a saree look. Choose a pair of heels that match to your outfit and feel comfortable to walk in.
If you’re trying to get a saree jeans fusion that you can’t just take your eyes off, you have to try a Puffy blouse. Go for printed jeans or a plain colour as per your preference. But, make sure to select printed sarees to add to the look. Plain or single coloured saree will make the whole look boring. Wear a bracelet or a watch with it.
Celebrity style outfits
If you’re looking to carry that favourite celebrity style saree with jeans photoshoot, you need to get creative with your blouse designs and draping style. You can go to off-shoulder or cold-shoulder blouse designs. Shilfa Shetty, an Indian actress, is often seen flaunting this look. Try to select two shades of the same colour. For example, the blouse can be white with black stripes while the saree can be off-white with a golden border, paired with a light blue shade of jeans.
Adding a belt to the saree
There are two reasons as to why adding a belt is the best choice you can make for an elegant saree with jeans photoshoot. A belt ensures that your saree stays in place and also helps you make an incredible fashion statement. Go for belts with a big buckle or for colours that stand out from your overall look. For example: If you’re going Bold black with your saree jeans fusion, you can choose a golden belt.
Plus Size Saree with a jeans jacket
If you’re someone with a plus size figure, we might have just the right solution for you. When you go wearing a saree with jeans, you can be conscious of your body image or feel like staying away from a saree. To get a slimmer look and flaunt this style, go for a quarter sleeves plain blouse with a slim print saree and a boyfriend jeans which isn’t giving that skinny look. Always go for darker shades as they give you a more flattering look.
HairStyles to try for Jeans Saree fusion
Now that you know how to wear a saree with jeans and the different styles in which you can flaunt this look, how about a hairstyle check? Believe it or not, your hairstyle can steal the spot or just dull your overall look. This necessarily doesn’t mean that you need to have a complicated hairstyle which needs a lot of styling. It’s all about choosing the right hairstyle that gives a complementary look to your saree. Here are a few hairstyle ideas for you with a step-by-step guide to achieve the desired look.
Messy low bun
This hairstyle can never go wrong. It’s best to wear for weddings or events where you need a more traditional look. It will look more chic if you’re wearing a backless or sleeveless blouse. What’s the point of wearing a sexy backless blouse if you don’t show it off, right?
- Comb your hair and brush out all the tangles.
- Use some texturizing spray all over your hair and part it on one side.
- Take a 2 inch section of hair from the front, twist it and pin it at the back of your head.
- Do the same on the other side.
- Collect all your hair and tie it into a low ponytail.
- Roll up this ponytail messily into a bun and secure it using bobby pins.
- For a more shaggier look, you can mess up the bun a little more using your hands.
- Use some hairspray to keep the hairstyle in place.
Half up curls
Now, this is a hairstyle which goes with embroidered blouses for silk sarees. Curls add that elegant look while still giving you that urban-chic style. Half curls also let you show off your dazzling jewellery pieces. This style is perfect for round and square face shapes.
- Wash your hair, dry it and apply some heat protectant.
- Comb your hair and remove all tangles/knots.
- Take 1 inch sections of hair at a time, to curl all your hair.
- Do the parting of your hair on one side.
- At the crown of your head, Insert a bumpit under your hair.
- Take the hair from the front and pin it in the center, right under your bumpit.
- You can add a fresh flower to the hairdo to give an edgy look.
Texturized Curls With Maang Tikka
This is yet another of my favourite hairstyles! If you’re looking to jazz up that plain saree look, you can go for this hairdo to get that bold and feminine look you have been trying to achieve. Adding a Maang Teeka is the showstopper here. It just blends contemporary and modernity giving you that perfect look.
- Pick up 2 inch sections at a time and curl the lower half of all your hair.
- Use some texturizing spray over your curls. To better open up the curls, you can run your fingers through them.
- The parting of your hair has to be done in the middle.
- Hold all the hair in the front and loosely pin it at the back of your head.
- Add a maang tikka to give the hairstyle a final touch.
Low side bun
Do you want to look like a powerful independent Indian woman? Well, this hairstyle is just the right look for you then. It goes for every traditional saree, be it any design. To nail this look, you definitely need a gold teeka headdress. This hairstyle is recommended for women with long faces.
- Use a comb to brush off knots and tangles.
- Apply a smoothing serum to get rid of all that frizziness.
- Part your hair down the middle and tie it in a low ponytail.
- Take a 2 inch section of hair from your ponytail and roll it like a ringlet.
- Pin it near the base of your ponytail. Follow the same process until all the hair in your ponytail has been rolled and pinned to create a bun.
- Use some hairspray to hold the look and put on your traditional gold headdress to get a finishing look.
Curling your hair here or startening them is optional. You can curl your hair for a low ponytail but if you’re going for a high ponytail, it’s best to straighten the hair. This hairstyle is a must for making a bold fashion statement. You can use scrunchies to add to that chic look.
- Wash your hair and prep it with some heat protectant.
- Curl / straighten your hair as per your choice.
- Comb back your hair and tie it into a mid-level or high ponytail.
- Pull out some hair sections from the front to frame your face.
- If you go with curls, you need to straighten these pulled-out frame sections.
Let’s finish off this list with an exquisite yet chic hairstyle. This will definitely flaunt your saree jeans fusion look. With some twists and quirky bubble style ponytails, you can transform your overall outfit.
Look at Shilpa Shetty flaunting this look here.
- Wash your hair and remove the knots.
- Part your hair down the middle.
- Take a 2 inch section of hair from the left side, twist it a few times, and pin it at the back of your head.
- Follow the above process on your right side as well.
- Collect all your hair and tie it into a ponytail exactly where you pinned back your front section of hair.
- Take a thin section of hair from the ponytail and wrap it around its base.
- Secure it by inserting a bobby pin to hide the hair elastic from being visible.
- To create volume, tease down the underside of your ponytail.
- You need to smoothen down the upper section of your ponytail over the teased down section.
- Take a hair elastic and tie it at the bottom to give the bubble effect.
- Hold a thin section of hair from the tail of your ponytail, wrap it around that hair elastic and pin it to hide the elastic from showing.
Now that you know how to wear a saree with jeans, you have understood some crucial style elements. Flaunting the jeans with a saree look requires you to follow a proper draping style, blouse and a pair of the right jeans. Your footwear should add to the overall look, be it flats or heels. Accessorize the outfit the right way! If your saree is plain, you need accessories which are bold and make a statement. Keep in mind that your hairstyle is an essential part to get the finishing look. I have mentioned some exotic hairstyles which are a mix of modern and contemporary style. And you’re all set to rock your saree with jeans photoshoot!